Sunday, May 23, 2010

Greetings!


It’s the first entry! The first entry of this newly born blog, conceived from the beginning of my first Montreal summer and my love of the Arts.

Just over a year ago, I had the pleasure of accompanying a pal to the Hey Bear, Whoa Bear concert in the cavernous space that is L’Escogriffe. Summer was beginning and I considered that I was maybe leaving Montreal too soon. During this CD release Tim Moxam, writer and acoustic guitar player for Hey Bear, Whoa Bear, noted that he was more proud to release his band’s CD than graduate from university that same month. The album was indeed something to be thrilled about!

Their song “Assignment 63: Write an Encouraging Song” is the song from which this blog gains its title. In the songs third line, Tim sings, “Running round like children free after four, already in love but just too young to be sure”. I liked this phrase a lot the first time I heard it, and increasingly thereafter. It reminds me of the Fool, a tarot card figure. The Fool perches at the foot of a cliff and pauses as if to get a whiff of the surrounding nature, oblivious to the dangers that his body’s carefree motion might take him (away from his sturdy footing and into the abyss of unforgiving rocks beneath). The image of his naïveté and love for the world resonates with me, as do the words of Tim’s song. So, as Tim’s imagined children run free, I hope for this blog to meander in the happy fields between concert, exhibition, and cd reviews. Happy reading and happy listening!

Hey Bear, Whoa Bear: http://www.myspace.com/heybearwhoabear

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing, Kali. I also very much like that 'Hey Bear, Whoa Bear song'; especially the line "all of the joy and pain i'll put into song & memory, until the things I think about make any sense to me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read your words; I can "see" & "hear" you as I meander down the page! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete